Our Complete Curriculum Sets are discounted by 10% or more, and some of the supplements are helpful to have multiple copies of if you have students at different points in LOE curriculum, so you'll get everything you need at the best price if you order both the starting sets.
In some cases it may be more economical to order some items individually if you are starting multiple LOE curricula at once, since some items are included in more than one set. However, the following items are helpful to duplicate:
- Basic Phonogram Flash Cards (strongly recommended, so that you can keep sets sorted by which phonograms each child or group has and hasn't learned and have them ready to go when you start each lesson)
- Phonogram Game Card decks (for the same reason)
- Phonogram Game Tiles (so multiple kids can use them at once, and so you can keep them sorted by which ones have been taught)
So if you would like to have multiples of these, here is what we recommend:
If starting Foundations (beginning at Level A) and Essentials
Then add the additional Essentials and Foundations sets as you need them. You may want to order the Foundations D items individually instead of getting the D set, since you'll already have Spelling Rule Flash Cards from Essentials, but otherwise there is no duplication between the remaining sets.
If starting Foundations (beginning at Level B) and Essentials
Most students start Foundations at A, but in some cases B is a better fit (see Help Me Choose for guidance). If you are starting Foundations at B, order the Essentials 1-7 Complete Set, plus one of the following Foundations B Sets:
- Foundations B Set - for Starting at B - This set includes all the reusable Foundations supplements used throughout the levels, so order it if you would like duplicates of the Basic Phonogram Flash Cards, Game Cards, and Game Tiles.
- Foundations B Set - This contains only the books for level B, not the reusable supplements, since it is designed for those continuing from level A. If you don't want to duplicate all the student supplements, or if your student can already write uppercase and lowercase fluently and you plan to skip the handwriting portion of the lessons, it will be more cost-effective to order this set and then add the following:
- Student Whiteboard
- Basic Phonogram Cards (second set - optional)
- Phonogram Game Tiles (second set - optional)
- Rhythm of Handwriting Tactile Cards (manuscript or cursive) - if handwriting instruction is needed
- Rhythm of Handwriting Quick Reference (manuscript or cursive) - if handwriting instruction is needed
If starting Rhythm of Handwriting and Foundations
NOTE: You do not need to purchase separate Rhythm of Handwriting materials for a child beginning Foundations. All handwriting materials are included in Foundations, and instruction is built into the Foundations lessons. Lowercase is taught in A and uppercase in B; students continue to practice handwriting in C and D.
If you are starting Foundations and Rhythm of Handwriting with different children (using the same handwriting style): the teacher supplements can be used for both programs. We recommend you order the Foundations A Complete Set, plus the following individual student materials for each student doing Rhythm of Handwriting:
- Rhythm of Handwriting Student Book in Cursive or Manuscript
- Student Desk Strip in Cursive or Manuscript (optional)
- Student Whiteboard (optional - can share if students are working at different times)
If you are teaching one handwriting style in Foundations and a different handwriting style in Rhythm of Handwriting, order Complete Sets in both.
If starting Rhythm of Handwriting and Essentials
Continuing to Essentials from Foundations
If you have already purchased the Foundations A through D Sets and are continuing to Essentials with the same child, you already have most of the supplements you will need. You should order the following:
- Essentials 1-7 After Foundations Set — includes only the Essentials 1-7 books plus additional supplements not used with Foundations
- Any items from the "You will also need" list from the After Foundations set that you don't already have (maybe none, but check in case you are missing anything)
- If teaching multiple students, add additional Workbooks and Spelling Journals.
At some point you will also need to order the sets for Essentials Lessons 8-15, 16-22, and 23-30. You can order everything at once or add them as you need them. People typically take one to two years to teach all 30 lessons of Essentials once through. When repeating Essentials a second time, you'll just need new Workbooks and ideally new Spelling Journals, and you will most likely move faster than you did the first time through.